Home -> Elyria High School -> Principals Message
Dr. Thomas G. Jama
OPEN LETTER TO ELYRIA HIGH SCHOOL COMMUNITY
Dear Student/Parent Pioneer:
WOW! We are officially into the last grading period of the 2012-2013 school year. As promised, I will continue to keep you updated on information taking place at the high school. Here is the most current information taking place with the start of the final grading period.
• 4th Quarter Goal: To have 57% or more of the student population at Elyria High School earn a 3.0 GPA or higher during the 4th grading period. A special reward/challenge for meeting the goal will be identified based on student and staff suggestions later in the school year. Last year’s success resulted in Mr. Wall and I sleeping on the roof of Elyria High School.
• 2013-2014 Scheduling: It is imperative for any future junior or senior to return their “late arrival/early release” permission form to their counselor as soon as possible
• Home Lunch Change: Students who are going to be juniors during the 2013-2014 school year will not have the option for home lunch. The decision to eliminate home lunch for juniors was based on the variety of food choices offered at the high school and safety concerns relating to students leaving the building for such a short period of time. Seniors will still have the option for home lunch.
• OGT Testing: The Ohio Graduation Tests were administered to all 10th graders and to any junior or senior needing to pass one or more sections during the week of March 11-15. I am proud to inform the school community that Elyria High School had an attendance rate for testing of over 99%. The results for the OGT’s should arrive during the third week in May.
• School Fees: As a follow-up to the fee letters that were mailed during the week of March 18th, you are being asked to please submit fee payments as soon as possible. All seniors must have their fees paid in full by April 15 to have the ability to purchase prom tickets and by May 13 to participate in senior brunch and commencements. Please contact Mrs. Karpinski with any questions regarding fees at 440-284-5207.
• Effective Schools Survey: All parents are being asked to complete the Effective Schools Parent Survey. You can take the survey on-line by going to the following web address: http://www.bit.ly/YomCZA.
• Web Page: You are encouraged to visit our school’s webpage for the latest high school announcements, calendar events and other general information pertaining to EHS. Please visit: https://www.elyriaschools.org/elyria/
• After Prom: Your help is needed! If you are willing to help the after prom committee, please contact Cathy Fairbanks at 440-213-6335. This is a wonderful event that will take place following prom.
In closing, I again want to say thank you for all your support of Elyria High School. As a school community, we are making great progress in increasing academic achievement by improving student behavior, implementing the most effective teaching methodologies, and working together as a team. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 440-284-8300.
Dr. Thomas G. Jama
Safe Schools Helpline
1-800-418-6423 Extention: 359
Text: 66746, TIPS